Allenton is an unincorporated community situated about five miles (8.0 km) south of exit 176, off Interstate 69 at 42°55′10″N 82°56′44″W. The Allenton ZIP code 48002 serves all of Berlin Township. The community was founded in about 1844 by Kerkimer Smith, an inn keeper who ran a stage coach line to Detroit. It was at first called "Smith's Corners" and was given a station named "Smith" on the Almont branch of the Pere Marquette Railway. A post office with that name was established in April 1883 and was renamed Allenton in March 1910 for Darius and Jesse Allen, who were civic leaders in the community.